Next Application Term Starts: August 1st, 2014 ** This term has ended. Stay tuned, the new term will begin soon!
General Scholarship Information
Since the company’s inception, Shift Insurance has aimed to change the way you think about insurance and now we aim to change the way you think about higher education. We believe in the power of the individual to create a name for him- or herself and we know that seizing opportunities and going the extra mile are essential to paving one’s path to success. We stand behind these ideas because they are the values from which our company was founded. Now, for the first time, Shift Insurance is offering a scholarship to honor students who also uphold these values. We want to hear from students that don’t let opportunities pass them by and that go above and beyond in their endeavors to achieve and surpass goals outside the classroom.
If you are a California resident between the ages of 18 and 25 and are currently a full-time student at a community college or 4 year university in California, Shift Insurance has a golden opportunity for you. Simply tell us how you have managed to begin creating your own path toward success—by seizing opportunities, taking initiative, and going the extra mile—and you could receive $500!
- California resident enrolled in a California institution – The California Students Scholarship is only available to California residents between the ages of 18 and 25 that are enrolled in a California community college or 4 year university. Out-of-state students who are new California residents are also eligible.
- Full time student – Applicants must be enrolled full time (at least 12 undergraduate units or 8-9 graduate units) at a single educational institution.
- Application Submission – Visit our scholarship application page and follow the directions for completing your submission. Applications must be received no later than 11:59pm PST on September 30, 2013.
- Response to Prompt – In 500-600 words, prepare a brief written response to the following prompt:
While opportunities may seem big or small, what truly distinguishes opportunities from each other is how one makes the most of them in order to learn from the experience. Think about an opportunity you recently sought and took advantage of. How did you take initiative and/or go the extra mile to ensure that your experience would be a stepping stone from which to build future successes off of? What did you learn from this experience that will help you in the future?
Guidelines for Written Response
- Written responses must be the applicant’s original work. School rules apply here: Plagiarism in any form will disqualify you from this and all future California Students Scholarship opportunities.
- Responses must be written in English and submitted along with the application. It is highly recommended that you first type your response in a word processing program and then copy/paste the final draft onto the appropriate text box in the application form. This helps prevent losing work in the event of internet problems or other technical difficulties.
- Don’t worry about how big or small an opportunity may seem. If it mattered enough to provide you with a valuable learning experience in which you took active part in, we want to hear about it. Trying to impress us or writing about what you think we want to read will take more time than is necessary. Be genuine and demonstrate how your unique experience has helped you progress in life in some way, shape, or form.
- Don’t treat this like another English paper. Be bold and let your voice come out. While the use of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is expected, we encourage you to show us that there’s a person behind the application.
SELECTION & CONDITIONS – Eligibility for the California Students Scholarship is contingent upon California residency, age requirement, and full time student status at one California community college or one California 4 year university. Applicants need not meet a G.P.A requirement but must be enrolled full time at the time of application submission and at the time of award announcement. For complete details and to qualify for entry, read the full Terms and Conditions . The selected applicant will be required to use the scholarship funds toward academic needs, including tuition, on-campus boarding, books, and other fees, for the remaining 2013-2014 school year. The funds will be delivered in a one-time disbursement through the applicant’s educational institution. Only one scholarship will be awarded per academic year. The selected applicant will be exempt from re-applying to future California Students Scholarship opportunities.
Latest posts by Raphael Locsin (see all)
- How Credit Affects Homeownership - August 1, 2016
- New Business Restrictions: Santa Clarita Fire - July 26, 2016
- 5 Things to Know Before Signing a Rental Agreement - July 16, 2016