You car renew your California driver’s license online if you receive a Renewal By Mail Notice with a Renewal Identification Number, and:
- Have access to the Internet
- Have not recently changed your address or changed any personal description (such as a name change)
- Have a verified Social Security Number (SSN) on record with the California DMV
- Have a valid credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover)
If you qualify and want to renew online, visit the DMV’s online Driver’s License Renewalwebpage.
Renew In Person:
If you already have a California license and you want to renew, you will need to:
- Visit a DMV office
- Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form DL 44.
- Provide your thumb print.
- Get your picture taken.
- Pay all application fees.
- Pass an vision exam.
Your renewal notice will tell you if you need to re-take the written test. If you must take a test, it will include traffic laws and sign test. You will only need to answer the first 18 questions of the 36 question exam. A passing score is at least 15 correct answers. You have three chances to pass.
Renew By Mail:
You may be eligible to renew your license by mail if you can answer No to all of the following questions:
- Does your California driver license expire more than 60 days from today’s date?
- Will you be 70 years of age or older when your current driver license expires?
- Are you currently on any type of driving probation or suspension?
- Did you violate a written promise to appear in court within the last two years?
- Have you already received two consecutive five year extensions by mail?
- Do you have a driver license from more than one state or jurisdiction?
- If you qualify and have not received a notice to renew by mail, complete a California Driver License Renewal By Mail Eligibility Information form (DL 410 FO) and send it along with a check for the renewal fee to:
Department of Motor VehiclesATTN: Renewal By Mail UnitPO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290–0001
Latest posts by Raphael Locsin (see all)
- How Credit Affects Homeownership - August 1, 2016
- New Business Restrictions: Santa Clarita Fire - July 26, 2016
- 5 Things to Know Before Signing a Rental Agreement - July 16, 2016